In 1863, almost 100 years before the opening of the first permanent building, the land in Bantry Bay Road was dedicated by the NSW Government for the use of the Church of England, but it was not until the population of the area increased in the 1950s, that formal Anglican services started in Frenchs Forest. These services were held in private houses and local business premises.
Plans for the current Church were drawn up in 1959; builders were contracted, loans arranged and the foundation stone laid by the Archdeacon of North Sydney on 23 January 1960. Frantic building activity, supported by donations of labour and materials, led to the opening and dedication of St Alban’s Anglican Church on 2 April 1960. At this point St Alban’s was part of the Provisional District of Forestville, Narraweena, Belrose & Oxford Falls. In 1961 it was part of the Provisional District of Forestville, Belrose & Frenchs Forest, and in 1971 the combined Parish of St Alban’s Frenchs Forest & St Stephen’s Belrose was formalised.
Subsequent additions to the church property have included the rectory (1960’s) first hall (1963), the “new” hall (1970) and major extensions to the church itself (1980’s).
The church flourished as the community grew rapidly in the 1970’s & 1980’s; and in July 1986, St Stephens, Belrose, was established as a parish in its own right, and we became the Parish of St Alban’s, Frenchs Forest.
Throughout this period, the Ministers in charge have been:
John Drayton 1958 – 1961
Barry Slamon 1961 – 1962
Barry Bryant 1962 – 1965
Alan Patrick 1965 – 1976
Len Straw 1976 – 1987
Brian Johnson 1987 – 1991
Daniel Willis 1991 – 1997
Brian Heath 1997 – 2008
Dave Lanham 2009 – present